Embassy of the Philippines > Embassy of the Philippines DC >> News



8 November 2014

LOS ANGELES—The Philippine Embassy today honored two emergency response groups based in California for saving as many as 2,000 lives in Leyte in the immediate aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan more than a year ago today.

In separate ceremonies here, Ambassador Jose L. Cuisia, Jr. presented plaques of commendation to Mammoth Medical Missions of Mammoth Lakes and Team Rubicon of Los Angeles for the crucial role they played as the first foreign responders to arrive in typhoon-devastated Leyte.

“Many of our kababayans are alive today because of Mammoth Medical Missions and Team Rubicon,” Ambassador Cuisia said.

“The casualty list could have been higher had Mammoth Medical Missions and Team Rubicon not made it to the area on time. As a result, numerous lives in Tanauan and nearby areas were saved.”

Described as the most powerful storm in modern history, Haiyan killed more than 6,000 people, injured close to 30,000 and displaced more than four million in its rampage across the Central Philippines. It also affected the lives of another 12 million in 44 provinces.

Ambassador Cuisia recalled that it was at the height of Haiyan’s fury that the Philippine Embassy in Washington, D.C. received calls from Mammoth Medical Missions and Team Rubicon requesting permission to deploy teams to the Philippines.

He said Mammoth Medical’s team of 16 doctors and nurses led by Dr. Michael Karch was on its way to a mission in Mexico when they decided to divert to the Philippines where their expertise in mass casualty incidents would be put to better use. At the same time, Team Rubicon, which is made up largely of military veterans, was also organizing a team for immediate deployment.

However, both teams could not proceed immediately to Manila as regulations require foreign medical missions to first secure permission from the Department of Health. The process takes at least 48 hours.

“We knew the situation was critical and time was of the essence,” Ambassador Cuisia said, adding that what he did was to immediately call Health Secretary Enrique Ona in Manila and convinced him to waive the requirements for both teams.

Ambassador Cuisia said he then called then Armed Forces Chief of Staff General Emmanuel Bautista and secured his commitment to make sure both teams reach the disaster area. The Embassy also requested Pilipinas 911, a local response group, to assist the two teams.

Less than 72 hours after Haiyan struck, Mammoth Medical was in Tanauan, Leyte, making it the first foreign rescue team to reach Ground Zero. It was followed a day later by Team Rubicon.

“Looking back, I know we made the right call,” Ambassador Cuisia said. “Numerous lives were saved because of our friends from Mammoth Medical Missions and Team Rubicon and for that we will forever be grateful.” ###

8 November 2014

8 November 2014

Commendation. Ambassador Jose L. Cuisia, Jr. presents a plaque of commendation to members of Team Rubicon during ceremonies in Los Angeles on Friday, 7 November 2014. The group, which is made up mostly of military veterans, were commended for helping save countless lives in Leyte in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan. Team Rubicon and Mammoth Medical Missions were the first foreign medical teams to reach Leyte after the typhoon. (Photo Courtesy Team Rubicon)