Embassy of the Philippines > Embassy of the Philippines DC >> News


29/03/2010: Ambassador Gaa on the 2010 Philippine National Elections

As the 2010 Philippine national election approaches, I am pleased to inform all registered Filipinos under the Overseas Absentee Voting (OAV) Act that the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) has sent out all the election ballots to registered voters here in the United States.  I would like to take this opportunity to once again exhort everyone to participate in this year’s elections, to make manifest the right accorded to us by the constitution and that which defines the Philippines as the oldest democracy in Asia.

And as part of our vigorous efforts to encourage Filipinos to participate, the Embassy has launched a special 2010 OAV page on its website containing relevant information and updates on the upcoming elections.  Entitled “BUMOTO 2010,” it features a step-by-step procedure on postal voting, a virtual listing of all candidates as well as a comprehensive list of electoral mails that have been forwarded to the Embassy.

Registered overseas absentee voters under the jurisdiction of the Embassy (Alabama, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Turks & Caicos, Aruba, Jamaica, Haiti, Trinidad and Tobago, Dominican Republic and Guantanamo Bay) who did not receive their ballots due to postal issues may check their names on the OAV page.  If your name is on the list, you may claim your ballot no later than May 7, 2010 at the Philippine Embassy in Washington D.C., 1600 Massachusetts Avenue, NW Washington, D.C. 20036.  The election period for overseas absentee voters will commence from April 10 to May 10, 2010, 6:00 a.m. EST.  You may also reach the OAV Secretariat of the Embassy at telephone nos. 202-467-9319, 202-467-9387 or 202-467-9381.

Registered overseas absentee voters who fall under the jurisdiction of one of the Philippine Consulates General in the United States may verify with the website of the Post that has jurisdiction over your state of residence or you may contact the concerned Post directly. END.